IMPORTANT – Beginning Monday, June 21, ALL library services will relocate to the Branch Library to allow access to the utility crews working around the Main Library. All returns should be made at the Branch, and we ask that all visitors avoid the Main Library parking lot until we have resumed services at that location. We currently expect the shutdown of the Main Library to last for about three weeks.
- The Library is open for in-person selection and borrowing of materials, though some library services are still limited. Current hours are: Monday through Saturday, 10am to 6pm. Staff and visitors are required to wear masks while inside the building.
- Your library card is required for all transactions. If you come to the library without your physical library card, you will be unable to borrow materials. If you need to replace a lost card, renew your library account or to register for a new account, you may do so HERE.
- If you have signed up for a new library card in the past year and are still holding a ‘provisional’ card with restrictions on its use, we are now able to validate accounts in person. Please read through the information HERE and make sure you bring the proper documentation with you.
- You may browse our collections and request items online.
- If you have requested items, you may pick them up in person OR schedule a pickup appointment for our Curbside service.
- If you need assistance with our online services, please call 767-7660 and choose option #2 for the front desk – or use the Contact Us form – staff are here to help!
The City of South Portland will begin a lengthy utility and streetscape improvement project the first week of April, lasting into the Fall of 2021.
A portion of this project will involve significant work in the library’s parking lot and grounds which will impact how we continue to deliver our services. Please note: this project does not include any improvements to the library’s parking lot or grounds.
You can find the City’s official documentation of this project HERE.
EFFECTIVE MONDAY, JUNE 21, ALL LIBRARY SERVICES (including curbside pick up, in person browsing and all returns) will be relocated to the BRANCH LIBRARY location (155 Wescott Rd). There will be no pickup options at the Main Library and we ask that all users avoid entering the library’s parking lot.
- Once work has cleared the Main Library parking lot, we will return services to the Main Library.
Please note: all dates are contingent on the progress of the construction project and our plans may change as the conditions around us call for it.
This page will continue to be updated as the project progresses and as our plans change.
Check Your Account
Before proceeding with requesting items, you should first check the status of your library account at the My Library Account portal. Once logged in, you will see information about your account along the left hand side of your screen. Your account expiration date displays at the bottom of the box containing your name address and phone number. Balance owed (if any) will display in the box under that, along with links to check reading history, update personal info, etc.
- If you have fines/charges of more than $6.00, your account will likely have been blocked from use. Charges may be paid by cash or check in person, or by mail with a check.
- If you haven’t used the library for a while, your account may have expired. It is very easy to renew your card, using the form found here.
- Has your library card expired? Is it lost? Have you never had one with us? No problem! Simply go here, fill out the form, and we will get you set up!
Library items are available in person or through our curbside pick up program.
There are currently four ways to request library materials:
- Come visit us and browse our collections!
- If already know what you’re looking for, you may place your requests for items online, using the “Search Our Catalog” box on the right side of this (and every) page.
If you haven’t used our online catalog before – it’s easy! We have a quick video tutorial online. Using the online catalog can be frustrating but it does work well, once you get the hang of it.
We know all the tips and tricks so, if you’re frustrated, give us a call, we’ll be happy to walk you through the process!
- If you don’t know specifically what you’re looking for, library staff have put together several browsing tools, found under the Browse Our Collections menu at the top of the page! These lists contain direct links to the online catalog, through wish you may directly place your request(s).
- If you’re not looking for specific titles, why not try Library Grab Bag? Just answer a few questions and our staff will put together an assortment of items from our collections for you to try!
All items are checked out for their regular three-week lending period. If eligible, items can be renewed online for an additional two weeks, if necessary.
The library occasionally offers take away craft kits for kids and/or adults. Craft kits are limited in their availability and are available on a first come, first served basis. Craft kits are not available on their own – they are intended as a ‘bonus’ to go along with your borrowed library materials. When available, these will be announced on the library’s Facebook page, along with instructions for how to request.
- You will receive a confirmation email letting you know that your requested items are ready for you. Once you receive this notice, you can schedule your pick up appointment, here. Please do not schedule an appointment until you have been notified that your item is ready for you.
- If you request multiple items, you MAY receive multiple email notifications. You do not have to make separate pick up appointments (unless some items come in after you have already been here) we will automatically include all available items at the time of your pick up.
- If requested items are coming in from different libraries, all items may not be available at the same time. Though you do not have to pick up items immediately, please keep in mind that items are held for 7 days before they are returned to the shelf or to their owning library.
- Requested items are checked out to you prior to your pick up appointment. If you miss an appointment, items remain will remain checked out on your account. A missed appointment means a shorter loan period.
- If you must reschedule your pick up appointment, contact us to cancel your existing appointment, and set up a new appointment, here
Renew Your Items
Need to renew an item? Here’s how…
- Until further notice, please return ALL ITEMS to the BRANCH LIBRARY.
- We are currently unable to accept any donations of materials for the library or for the Friends BookShop
- If you would like to support the library with a gift, a membership to the Friends of the South Portland Public Library helps to support our program, supply and other needs not funded by the City.