With the resumption of in-person library services at both library locations, we have discontinued the online library account signup form.
You may set up a new account, obtain a replacement for a lost card or renew an expired account in person, during regular library hours, at either library location – just be sure to read through the information below and please make sure to bring any appropriate identification, as outlined below.
If you would like to establish an account with the South Portland Public Library, please read this page carefully.
From the South Portland Public Library Policy Manual:
3.2 LIBRARY MEMBERSHIP
(Policy endorsed by Library Advisory Board, 1/14/12)
All library transactions requiring access to a library users’ account requires the presentation of a valid South Portland Public Library card for that account.
Library cards are issued to those aged 5 and above. Applicants under the age of 18 require the in-person signature of a parent or legal guardian, assuming financial responsibility for the library account.
Use of the library services – including computer use and borrowing privileges – may be denied for due cause, such as loss of materials, excessive fees, destruction of library property, and/or conduct in violation of library policies.
Unless cancelled for any other reason, a South Portland Public Library card is valid for one year. Library accounts may be renewed – annually – for as long as the account is in good standing and the user maintains eligibility.
Lost or damaged library cards may be replaced at a cost of $1.00.
South Portland Residents
A South Portland citizen who has proper identification authenticating his/her South Portland residency is eligible for a library card, at no cost.
Proper identification for the issuing of a library card is:
A valid, Maine state-issued photo identification showing current South Portland residence
A state or federal issued photo identification in conjunction with any of the following, showing current South Portland residency and issued in the same name as the identification provided:
- Utility bill dated within the last 30 days
- A South Portland issued tax bill/tax receipt dated within the past three months
- Current lease, mortgage papers, or rent receipts that officially state the property address (that is, no handwritten receipts; must be a preprinted form which shows the bank or realty company name)
- Current vehicle registration, in the name of the applicant, showing a current South Portland address
The South Portland Public Library offers the following options for non-resident users…
Free Library Card
A library card – at no cost – may be issued to non-resident visitors in the following situations:
- An employee of the City of South Portland or the South Portland School Department, who has a valid, City or school issued identification card.
- A non-resident South Portland taxpayer with a valid tax receipt for authentication (property holders, business proprietors, and/or boat owners).
- Students enrolled in a South Portland institution of higher education (i.e., Southern Maine Community College) with valid student identification that authenticates current enrollment.
- A non-resident student at a public or private school in South Portland. A signed note from a school administrator or current student identification is required. The library card is for this student’s use only.
- Military service personnel stationed in South Portland.
Non-Resident Fee for Library Service
Non-resident visitors not meeting the criteria for a free card, above, may obtain a South Portland Public Library card at a cost of $30.00 for one year. This fee is an approximation of the average annual resident taxpayer contribution toward library services. Nonresident library accounts are valid for use by other members of a household but, as with all other library transactions, the library card must be presented at time of use. Applicants for a non-resident card must provide valid, state-issued, photo identification.