What is iMake?
iMake is an informal program designed for teens to learn new skills and socialize with friends! Come make cool crafts like iPod speakers and hand sewn books, and learn skills like weaving, building and cyanotype printing! Past projects have included homemade bouncy balls, needle felting, basic photo development, and recycled CD mandalas.
When and Where
iMake takes place every Thursday at 3:30 p.m. at the Main Library, either in the Community Room or in the Teen Area.
Upcoming Projects in 2019
- January 10: Hand warmers—Practice stitching as you make reusable hand warmers to keep you toasty through the winter months!
- January 17: Peace cranes—Learn to fold origami peace cranes to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
- January 24: Twine coasters—Craft unique and stylish coasters out of every-day materials you probably have lying around your house! They make great gifts.
- January 31: Duct tape flowers—Fold and create cool flowers out of a well-loved, versatile material: Duct tape!
- February 7: Confetti bowls—Make a colorful and decorative bowl out of confetti and Mod Podge.
- February 14: Black out poetry—Make artistic and poems from old book pages by artfully removing and choosing words.
- February 21: No iMake
- February 28: Make a zine—Express your ideas through zine making! Learn to make your own mini-book from a single page of paper, and fill it with whatever you like.
- March 7: Salt painting—Experiment with watercolor paints and salt to make unique artwork for cards, wall hangings and more.
- March 14: TBD
- March 21: Glass magnets—Craft decorative, personalized refrigerator magnets out of simple materials!
- March 28: Hand-sewn book—Learn the basics of bookbinding by making your own small, hand-sewn notebook.
- April 4: Stained glass CDs—Upcycle old CDs into beautiful window mandalas that look like stained glass.
- April 11: Modular origami—See how small pieces of paper can become building blocks for amazing creations!
- April 18: Kokedama—Make a hanging moss ball garden to celebrate Earth Day!
iMake is made possible through the support of the Friends of the South Portland Public Library. For more information, call Youth Services at 767-7660 x 3.