- Current library services are very limited due to the current public health situation.
- Both library buildings remain closed to the public.
- You may pick up items – by appointment – at the Main Library.
- You may browse our collections and request items online.
- Please place your requests for items online, using the “Search Our Catalog” box on the right side of this page.
- If you haven’t used our online catalog before – it’s easy! We have a quick video tutorial, or feel free to give us a call and we’ll be happy to walk you through the process!
- If available, South Portland-owned items are ready for pick up the next business day.
- Please expect about a week to receive interlibrary loan requests.
- If you don’t know specifically what you’re looking for, we have some great book lists posted in the Browse Our Collections section of our web site.
- Patrons are limited to 15 items checked out at a time.
- South Portland Public Library cardholders have priority access to any items owned by (and available at) the South Portland Public Library.
- Limited interlibrary loan service is available for online requesting.
- Current library services do not include the “Walk in Borrowing” program between the South Portland Public Library and other area libraries. We hope to restore this agreement when we are all settled in to our new routines.
- Has your library card expired? Is it lost? Have you never had one with us? No problem! Simply go here, fill out the form, and we will get you set up!
Pick-Up / “Curbside” Service
- We are currently only providing contact-free, outside the building, pick up service for library materials. This service is being provided, by appointment, at the Main Library, seven days a week.
- You will receive a confirmation email letting you know that your requested items are ready for you. Directions to schedule a pick up appointment are included in this email.
- If you request multiple items, you MAY receive multiple email notifications. You do not have to make separate pick up appointments unless some items come in after you have already been here – we automatically include all available items at the time of your pick up.
- Requested items are checked out to you prior to your arrival on the day of your scheduled pick up appointment. If you miss an appointment, items remain checked out to your account.
- If you must reschedule your pick up appointment, contact us and we will send you a link to reschedule.
We have discovered that Microsoft-owned email services such as Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, MSN.com & Live.com
frequently block email notifications from our system.
If you use one of these services for email, we recommend that you provide us with a non-Microsoft email address for your library account or to enroll your account in SMS/text notifications
- The book drop remains open for returns.
- Please return all items to the Main Library.
- We hold all returned items in quarantine for at least 72 hours before checking them in and returning them to use. Don’t be alarmed if something you returned a few days ago is still showing as checked out to you. Quarantine time will not make items overdue.
- The Minerva system email notices (“Your item is due soon,” “Your item is overdue,” etc.) are automated and MAY go out in the time between when you returned your item(s) and when we have checked them in from quarantine. If you receive a notice, there is no need to contact us UNLESS the item is still on your account (login to your “My Library Account” to check) and you are sure you returned it more than five days ago.
- If there are charges on your account (login to your “My Library Account” to check), don’t panic!
- There were no fines charged from when we closed on March 13 through our re-opening on June 1. All items that were checked out prior to March 13 had their due dates extended until July 10.
- Fines will accrue on items checked out on or before March 13 and not returned by July 10.
- Regular loan rules apply to all items checked out on or after June 1.
- If you are reviewing your account online and see an item listed as checked out that you have already returned (it’s probably still in quarantine) – do not renew the item. Items do not accrue fines for the days they are in quarantine. However, if you renew them, the system assumes you still have them… so it will apply a fine.
- Fines/charges will block access to a library account if the total owed is $3 or more on a child’s account, or $6 or more on an adult’s account. If you owe less than these amounts, please do not worry about paying at this time.
- Please do not leave payments on the curbside pick-up table. Also, please to not attempt to give payments to library staff or to put any payment through the book drop.
- Currently, we can only accept payment via check sent to us by mail.