Here’s our first step toward restoring library services…
Beginning on Monday, June 1, we will begin offering very limited hours for contact-free, outside of the library, pickup of materials.
- All requests must be placed online (currently active)
- Pick up is by appointment only (also, to be done online)
To start, this service will be very restricted and we enter into it knowing full well that it will be far from ideal for… well… almost everybody. Initially, this is a ‘toe in the water’ for us – we have no idea what the demand for service will be, how all of us will be able to adhere to the guidelines, and how manageable any of it will be.
The Library’s staff are all entering into this with eyes and ears wide open, understanding that what we start doing on day one may have evolved into something entirely different by the end of the day. This is a process of not only reopening, but of rapid evolution.
Our philosophy is to start small and restricted and to expand and open up more options as we progress.
Please keep in mind that the restrictions below apply to our INITIAL offering of service. These will change rapidly and options will be added once we know that these basics can be handled safely and responsibly.
- All requests for items must be placed online, using our online catalog. This process REQUIRES a valid SPPL card. To start, we will be unable to accommodate phone or email requests.
- Only items from the South Portland Public Library’s collections (Main and Branch) will be available for use – no Interlibrary loan.
- If available, requested items will be ready for pick up the next day.
- Requested items will be checked out to you prior to your arrival.
- This service will be available at the Main Library location only.
- The service will be available Monday through Friday, from noon until 5pm.
- Patrons will be limited to 15 items checked out at a time.
- You will need to schedule a specific time for the pick up of your requested items. Instructions for doing this will be provided when your items are confirmed to be available and ready for pick up.
- There will be no public access to the library building.
Here are some questions we suspect the above will raise…
Requesting online? What’s that?
Our online catalog has been the backbone of our lending services for close to 20 years now and requesting materials online has been the best way for you to get the items you want from us, quickly and accurately, even outside of the current situation! It’s quick and simple to use. We’ve even put together a brief tutorial, HERE
What about the Branch Library?
It is not practical for us to try and duplicate a pick up process from both buildings right now. Library staff will be retrieving requested items from the Branch – daily – for pick up at the Main Library.
These hours are not convenient! Can you offer pick up times after 5:00? Before noon? On the weekends?
We have every intent to expand and adjust the hours as we move forward, once we have an understanding of the need.
I don’t yet have a card / I misplaced my card / My card has expired, what do I do?
Your access to our services, unfortunately, will have to wait until a later phase of our reopening, as we will not – initially – have a secure means of handling these transactions. If your card expired at any point earlier this year, we have taken the liberty of preemptively extending its expiration date through the end of July, so that you may utilize this service.
Can I call to place a request/schedule a pickup time, etc.?
To start, online requests – through the Minerva catalog – will be the only option for requesting materials. We expect to be able to add phone and email requests – as well as librarian-assisted materials recommendations – in fairly short order.
What about InterLibrary Loan?
The statewide Minerva network remains shut down for the foreseeable future.
If you have any other questions or feedback, please get in touch with us through our CONTACT US page!